(1) To head and be responsible for the Production Team and undertake and be responsible for all of the Production activities within the Hull Factory.
(2) To manage the head count & budget of the associated department.
(3) To build and develop a team that is able to deal with the business needs & competences.
(4) To ensure that the Production activities are delivered on time.
(5) To evaluate and continuously improve the Production processes and procedures & associated production activity.
(6) To facilitate successful and effective implementation of Production lean philosophy across relevant business / production areas.
(7) Develop and maintain close working relationships with the Planning & Quality teams.
(8) To be fully responsible and accountable for the safety of all employee’s and visitors within the Production areas.
(9) To be fully responsible and accountable for the overall Production Quality produced within the factory.
• To head and lead the Production Team and undertake and be responsible for all of the Production activities in the Valves business.
• To build and develop a team that is able to deal with the business needs and ensure that the Production standard is raised and then maintained. To also develop a greater knowledge & expertise within the Production team.
• To ensure that the Production activities are clearly defined, communicated & delivered on time according to the production planning requirements of the Hull factory. Must be a strong and dedicated manager & Team Leader.
• To evaluate and continuously improve the Production processes and procedures and constantly strive for clear communications and good working relationships with the other internal departments. As necessary modify or produce new processes & procedures to continually improve the effective and efficient running of the department.
• To co-ordinate and facilitate successful and effective implementation of Production lean and value stream processes across relevant business / product areas.
• Assess and review the Production resource capacity, capability and productivity against the production planning requirements now and the future. Manage the overall performance of the teams reporting back directly to the GM Operations.
• To be fully responsible and accountable for the environmental, health & safety within the production area. To work closely with the quality team with the aim of continuously improving the EHS, build standards and Quality and continuously improve the efficiency & production utilisation within the factory area.
• Be part of the Management Team in Hull, contribute to weekly management meetings and complete any monthly business reports in a timely manner through the GM Operations. Monitor and maintain all assigned KPI’s and provide support / drive the lean activities within the business. Contribute to the business forecast and ensure the associated targets are monitored and achieved.
• Ensure that all Production activity is in compliance with Wartsila Policies, safety, quality and procedural standards, and relevant national and international legislation and where necessary conform to clients’ specifications.
• Monitor the issuing of work instructions and ensure these are maintained to reflect the production guideline documentation, co-ordinate any changes with the Product Engineering team in Hull.
• To evaluate and continuously improve the Production processes and procedures and constantly strive for clear communications and good working relationships with the other departments and Teams in Hull.
• As necessary modify or produce new processes & procedures to continually improve the effective and efficient running of the department.
• To develop & build a multi-disciplined Production team. Develop a skills & competence matrix, ensure performance management is embedded in the team and clear Safety and quality directives are flowed into the team and embedded in the daily work.
• To fully support the implementation of the Wärtsilä Business core focus on Safety and Quality. Adopt a work ethic that promotes good customer service and strive for quality excellence and adopt a first time right approach in everything that we do.
• Contribute to the effective working of the Hull business operations. Lean and value stream thinking must be an embedded every day process.
• Work in a manner which promotes the company’s values.
• From time to time it may be necessary to undertake other business related activities that can be reasonably expected.
Communication skills & Customer relations
Representation and etiquette
Good level of spoken and written English
Local labour laws
OpExS - Quality and environment
Management & Leadership Competencies:
Leading the Business: Strategic planning and target setting
Leading people: Team building
Delivering results: Management skills
Problem solving and decision making
Bachelor Degree or equivalent in Mechanical or Production Engineering
Low volume, high value assembly shop experience.
Line management experience.