The Engine Process Performance & Functionality department in Vaasa is looking for an Expert, Thermofluids & Simulations, to support our product and technology developments by maintaining, developing, and providing specialised competence and services within engineering analysis, especially CFD and multiphysics simulations.
The main focus is on zero-, one-, and three-dimensional flow- and multiphysics phenomena in four-stroke medium-speed engines, e.g. fluid dynamics simulations of both reacting and non-reacting flows, conjugate heat transfer and other types of fluid/structure interaction. The primary simulation tools of the team include STAR-CCM+, es-ice/STAR-CD, and GT-Suite.
Location: Vaasa, Finland
In this job, your main responsibilities include:
- Performing thermofluids simulations and related calculations and analyses for research and development projects
- Supporting the planning of those simulations and analysis for individual project tasks
- Specifying, outsourcing, and coordinating selected thermofluids simulation tasks to external partners
- Follow-up, review and report the status and results of the assigned tasks with adequate conclusions and recommendations
- Maintaining and developing relationships with internal and external cooperation partners
- Supporting colleagues and internal stakeholders in their decision making by providing technical expertise.
To succeed in this role, a M.Sc. degree or higher in physics, chemistry or mechanical engineering is required. Applicants with a B.Sc. and extensive work experience will also be considered. You should also have a solid understanding of fluid- and thermodynamics as well as internal combustion engines in general. Knowledge about chemistry, combustion processes and emission formation is seen as an advantage.
Extensive knowledge about and practical experience within 3D modelling (FEA or CFD) is required. Experience with Star-CCM+, Star-CD or OpenFOAM is seen as an advantage.
Proficiency in computer usage is needed in this position. Unix/Linux environments are in use and basic scripting in shell/python/java is part of everyday work.
In addition, since we are a multi-discipline simulation expertise team, practical experience within the following areas and/or tools is seen as beneficial:
- System simulation tools such as GT-Suite, BOOST, WAVE, FloMASTER, or Amesim.
- Optimisation/DoE tools such as HEEDS MDO, Isight, modeFRONTIER, or Optimus.
- Complex chemistry solver software such as LOGEsoft, DARS, or CHEMKIN.
- CAD software such as NX.
- SPDM/PIDO/SLM software such as 3DEXPERIENCE or SimCenter.
- PLM software such as Teamcenter.
- Finite element software such as Abaqus.
|Contact person to give further information||
Engine Process Performance & Functionality
Engine Performance & Controls, Marine Solutions, Engines Technology
Wärtsilä Finland Oy
|Job area||Research & Development|