• Check all necessary design drawings, calculations & analysis to ensure a robust, reliable solution in accordance with intended application and design codes including the Boiler and Pressure Vessel codes (ASME VIII, ASME IID, PED) and other national and international valve codes.
• Experienced in material selection & able to navigate through design codes / standards to achieve a defined engineered and compliant product every time.
• Engineering investigations, design verification & value engineering of existing products & designs.
• Ensure that the data for product master technical files (drawings, specifications technical files and bill of materials) meet with requirements of PED and other required pressure codes to support the product portfolio from manufacture, assembly, test, operation and overhaul.
• Support the Technical Manager in ensuring the engineering processes and procedures are robust, be followed and are auditable. Also support the Engineering Manager in helping the team to achieve such operational targets and service levels as are specified from time to time. Maintain compliance with all ISO standard and H&S for which the company has accreditation or is working to achieve accreditation.
• Provide consultative support across the Engineering group for new or existing designs. Act as a Senior Design Engineer in a position of responsibility within the Engineering hierarchy for checking other design engineer’s drawings / documentation.
• Help develop the engineering competence of engineers e.g. training, mentoring and coaching, including supporting the development of engineers.
• Keep abreast of developments in materials and production technology in order to contribute authoritatively to current & new programmes of cost reduction and product development.
• Technical problem solving and resolution both in house and externally
• Be fully conversant with machined parts, how to tolerance & dimension engineering drawings correctly and precisely to ensure all parts can be manufactured right first time, every time.
• Develop exciting, new, leading-edge designs in line with Business strategy and identify potential new products or opportunities. Ensure designs are value engineered to optimise material and manufacturing opportunities.
• Maintain up to date technical knowledge/skills and use these to provide technical leadership.
• Ensure that all work carried out is in compliance with Wartsila design, safety, quality and procedural standards, and also complies with the relevant national and international legislation applicable to the specific products.
• Release of documentation into the company documentation and design management system
• Communication skills
• Cost Awareness & Effectiveness
• Cultural Knowledge
• Negotiation skills
• Presentation Skills
• Teamwork Skills
• Wartsila quality, safety & environmental skills
Management & Leadership Competencies:
• Change management
• Problem Solving and decision making
• Customer value understanding
• Design Process
• Engineering theories and technologies
• Integrated solutions knowledge
• Lifecycle cost understanding
• Technical communication
• Technical product & solution knowledge
• Wartsila Engineering Tools
• Project Management
• Lean philosophy
• BSc or MSc in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience. CEng, Valve expert/Process Engineering knowledge (PetroChem or similar)
• Structural Engineering experience and tools (FEA MathCad).
• Fluid Dynamics / Fluid Mechanics