• Engage in new product development and develop existing product portfolio through standardization, ensuring designs are value engineered to optimise material and manufacturing opportunities.
• Interpret international, national, customer standards/specifications and industry recognised approvals (e.g. UL, FM, US Coast Guard) to ensure that valve products comply.
• Deliver product testing programs to time, budget and specification and report on project status and results with adequate conclusions and recommendations.
• Provide qualification of valve design by inspection and test methods identified in international, national and customer specifications and compile engineering reports.
• Provide central focal point for the technical support activity through all phases of the equipment lifecycle.
• Carry out Engineering investigations in both R&D and production cases.
• Provide support in build procedures with Production Engineers to ensure efficient transfer from Development to Production.
• Keep abreast of developments in materials and production technology in order to contribute to current and new programs of value engineering and product development.
• Availability to attend support customer visits in connection with project deliveries, on site investigations, technical support or product promotion.
• Build a wide stakeholder network based on technical expertise and innovation.
• Ensure that all work carried out is in compliance with Wartsila design, safety, quality and procedural standards, and also complies with the relevant national and international legislation applicable to the specific products.
• Plan personal workload to achieve the required targets and report progress to Design Manager.
• Maintain compliance with all ISO standard and H&S for which the company has accreditation or is working to achieve accreditation.
• Communication skills
• Cost awareness & effectiveness
• Cultural knowledge
• Negotiation skills
• Teamwork skills
• Wärtsilä quality, safety & environmental skills
• Customer value understanding
• Design process
• Engineering theories and technologies
• Integrated solutions knowledge
• Lifecycle cost understanding
• Technical communication
• Technical product and solution knowledge
• Wärtsilä Engineering tools
• Lean philosophy
• Project Management
• Knowledge and use of 2D/3D/CAD
• BSc / BEng in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline or equivalent experience is desirable.
• Fluid dynamics or fluid mechanics knowledge desireable