We are looking for a Director to lead the global Software Engineering practice in Wärtsilä. Wärtsilä produces an enormous range of software in a huge variety of contexts globally, from engine microcontrollers to web-scale online platforms. We have deep domain expertise and a strong position in the industry. We need to unlock this potential by delivering our solutions within a modern software engineering culture, with platform-first thinking and API ecosystems. There are areas of very strong technical competence, and strong vendor partnerships, but until now there has never been a globally aligned software organization or strategy.
Supporting Wärtsilä’s strategic vision – “enabling sustainable societies with smart technologies” means providing innovative, technologically cutting-edge solutions to our clients. In order to do that, Wärtsilä needs to be able to increase the pace of software development, harness together the expertise of multiple teams, and provide innovative technologically cutting-edge solutions to our clients.
You will report into the VP Digital Engineering, and work closely alongside the GM, Data Asset Management, and GM, Emerging Technologies. Your role will be instrumental in bringing Wärtsilä the power to deliver on its digital promises.
Wärtsilä is operating in growing and continually evolving markets: you will need to have a strong delivery focus; you will need to be adaptable; and you will need to maintain both a strategic vision as well as an execution focus. Our internal technology landscape is diverse and continually changing: we need someone with a strong and broad software engineering background, ideally with significant experience with B2B products.
You should be a passionate technologist with a keen focus on product delivery using best of breed technologies and techniques. You should be open-minded and ready to experiment.
You will need to liaise with technical teams globally, with internal and external R&D, with partners and software vendors, but most of all you will need to bring vision and execution in forging a global software development organization.
Your core responsibilities are to:
• Promote the development of a Wärtsilä-wide software organization culture
• Ensure our software development processes remain client- and product-focussed
• Work across the group to provide expertise in software engineering as a discipline
• Harmonize and align software engineering practices across multiple teams
• Lead key organizational platform development projects
• Oversee Wärtsilä’s organization-wide product software roadmap
• Help define and deliver Wärtsilä’s overarching technology strategy and roadmap
• Lead on design, scope and resourcing plans for new Wärtsilä software platforms
Your profile will include:
• Experience gained as a senior software engineering leader; CTO, VP Engineering, etc
• Evidence of strong technical and software skills
• Strong communication ability to both technical and non-technical audiences
• Future orientation; awareness of and openness to new technological trends
• Product orientation; empathy with users
• International/Cross-border/Multi-cultural experience
• Strong leadership, team building skills
• Excellent English (written, spoken)
• Low ego, humility, confidence and tenacity Educated to degree level in software engineering, or alternative evidence of software management expertise. Experience gained as a senior software engineering leader; CTO, VP Engineering, etc.
|Contact person to give further information||