Reporting to the VP, Digital Innovation, the Director, Digital Ventures will be in charge of further developing and rolling out our inclusive digital venturing strategy and supporting our internal innovation culture.
At the heart of the Digital Innovation function is our need to identify, test and develop new business models and new revenue streams for the group, including how we engage with Start-ups, universities, incubators and research facilities. One of the ways we will facilitate this is in dedicated innovation centres where the use of Lean and Design thinking approaches to develop projects, collaborate between start-ups and our existing digital businesses, to then quickly validate ideas, bring them to MVP and then either scale them or stop them.
Together with your team, you will develop and coordinate scouting activities, participation in external innovation and start-up events, (e.g. Slush), hackathons and develop corresponding networks as well as facilitate and develop internal innovation culture. You will become known as an evangelist for innovation and start-up thinking within an industrial company, telling the Wartsila story and creating a digital “footprint” for Wartsila within the start-up communities around the globe.
Your contribution to defining and setting up different types of strategic collaborations with start-ups will be one of the key elements in your job, including how these start-ups may integrate with or leverage our investment in 4 global Digital Acceleration Centres. You will also be in a major role coordinating the external and internal collaboration practicalities and ensuring alignment with business opportunities and needs – current and future.
Where will you be based? Well, that’s largely up to you. The corporate Headquarters is in Helsinki, but we have operations in over 70 countries around the world and in this role you to build relationships and to influence teams that have been with us for many years.
• Build, implement and coordinate the Digital Ventures function
• Create a pipeline of Prioritised Start-ups and venturing partners for both the Energy and Marine Sectors
• Identify, promote and champion start-ups within the Digital Acceleration Centres
• Live, breathe and evangelise Lean Start-up and Design thinking
• Build Wartsila external Innovation “footprint” with Research, Incubators, Universities and 3rd parties.
• Master’s degree (or higher) both in business and technology preferred
• 5-10 years of scouting and deal-flow related experience gained in working with start-ups, VCs and/or corporate VC arms
• Versatile technology and business background with evidence in applying strategic thinking capabilities
• Solid understanding and experience in different strategic collaboration elements between corporates and start-ups
• Evidence of scouting and evaluation skills of start-ups
• Strong networking skills
• Strong leadership, team building skills
• Drive, energy, enthusiasm and integrity
• International/Cross-border/Multi-cultural experience, ideally gained by living outside your mother country for a period
• Excellent English (written, spoken).
|Contact person to give further information||
Please leave a full CV and cover letter to the application.
|Job area||Business Development|